With so many people crying fowl out there, while it is good to promote talent, don’t waste money and time, on an inexperienced web designer. Here a few a tips to get you off to a better start than most.
It can be difficult to find a web designer who is capable of bringing your vision to life. It pays to be pedantic when sifting through the google ads and directory listings of great and not-so-great “web designers” out there. To help you out, here are a few points on what to look for in the person or company that you are going to pay real money, to design your website.
At the very least, web designers should be able to edit code generated by Content Management Platforms, let alone code from scratch.Tendai Machaka
- Leave if their name is not Cornelius James Branding ? There are many great web designers and design companies out there, you just need to find them. Referrals are a great way in addition to quality searches and directory listings.
- Your web designer should be able to manually write HTML code. At the very least, web designers should be able to edit code generated by Content Management Platforms, let alone code from scratch. Hypertext Markup Language, is a standardized system for tagging text files to achieve font, colour, graphic, and hyperlink effects on World Wide Web pages.
- Your web designer should understand and be able to explain to you Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), and how they are going to get your website listed on top search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo etc. Basically, SEO is employed help people who are looking for what you do or sell, find you quickly and easily online. This means matching the content on your website to what people are trying to find. Your chosen web designer must use meta-tags, links, copywriting and optimisation tools to achieve this… can they?
- Make a great looking website. We know what happens when you get to an ugly looking website. We all leave. You want to keep visitors on your website so you can communicate your messages to them. Your web designer must be able to design graphics that accentuate your brand and page, it only your messages to get through.
- Show what they have done in the past. If your web designer cannot show you previous work, leave! If they send you links, feel free to contact the website owner to verify.
- Review their own website. Granted, web designers rarely have time to work on their own website. Actually, that would be only the good ones, as they are too busy with clients websites… ok, we’ll leave this to your best judgement.
Article by TJ Machaka – Creative Director at Cornelius James Branding South Africa.